The first step in claiming more from life is examining limiting beliefs you have developed over time. Where did they come from? How long have you had them? Knowing the answers helps you craft a new mindset that directly contradicts these long-held, often unsubstantiated beliefs.
Get out a notebook or laptop and spend some time in thoughtful reflection about the following prompts. See if you can "free-write", which is to just write whatever comes to mind and keep going, without judgment or self-censorship. You may be surprised at what comes up!
1. When you were a child, what was one thing you enjoyed doing for hours on end?
Describe it in detail and try to recall the feelings you had while immersed in play.
2. What is your greatest source of guilt? (Guilt and shame are not the same. Guilt says “I
did something wrong and I feel bad. Shame says, “I did something wrong and I AM
3. What does love feel like to you? What does it look like? When have you felt most
4. Our “inner critic” is often our harshest critic. What are the most common phrases you
hear from your inner critic?
5. When you are at your best, what are you doing and how do you feel about yourself?
6. Think of a time when you trusted your instincts and made a good decision. What
helped you make it? What feelings or reactions did you experience? Now think of a
time when you ignored your instinct and did, perhaps, what was “expected’ of you?
What caused you to ignore your instinct? Compare both responses.
7. What were some of the messages you received growing up about money? Who
controlled money in your home? What are some early experiences around scarcity
or abundance that shaped your relationship with money?
8. Describe an experience that made you feel excluded or unworthy of belonging. How
did it feel? How old were you? Write about how this and other similar experiences
may have shaped your self-concept.
9. When was the last time you felt happy? Who were you with or what were you doing?
10. Now that you are an adult, if you had an entire day free from obligations, how would
you spend the time?
Great job with these journal prompts! If you would like to learn how to rid yourself of the beliefs that could be blocking your forward progress, sign up for a FREE consultation with me! I will explain how my 10-week coaching program works and exactly what outcomes you can expect!